Old February 1st 20, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Peter Able[_2_] Peter Able[_2_] is offline

Default Dirty air killing 25x as many as car crashes

On 30/01/2020 14:01, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
12:08:07 on Thu, 30 Jan 2020, Peter Able remarked:

The challenge is to try to set today's agenda.Â* Politicians are so
ignorant and easily conned when it comes to science.Â* Look at the
vacillation about diesel; the gross misunderstanding of the
environmental and health issues surrounding the burning of biomass;

I've always said that growing stuff, then burning it again, is futile as
a way to reduce carbon emissions. What you need to do is grow stuff,
then capture it. For example using wood to build things with.

Agreed. The "green aura" around biomass is the road to hell.

the mixed messages and lack of leadership surrounding wood-burning -
particularly domestic wood-burning.

What's your issue with domestic wood-burning. Pollution or CO2. I have a
wood-burner, but don't consume anything other than waste wood that I'd
otherwise take to the tip, and then they'd chip it and burn it... The
stove sees to consume any smoke that less sophisticated grates might
generate.

Particulates. Again the green aura around wood burners is very
misleading. I don't dispute that you do the right thing, Roland - but
the majority do not. Government advisory approval of good burners is a
start but how that as well as the use of low particulate rate fuel is to
be enforced is just not being addressed.

And the only ideas eventually adopted will need to be draconian.

PA - 20+ years in the vapour and particulate protection and detection
industry.