Old June 27th 04, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Grant Mason Grant Mason is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

"Simon Hobson" tuk wrote in message
et

There is a difference here. The study you quote is specifically about
traffic calming - a mix of reducing speed limits, reducing road
widths, signage, road markings etc. I would expect, in general, that
if you lower the speed limit AND give the appearance that it may be
enforced then speeds are likely to drop.

Indeed.

But a number of the villages (including the one I live in) in the study had
no reduction in speed limit - only changes to signage. And average speeds
did drop, contrary to the original assertion.