Old June 27th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default London Orbital (M25) - Service Areas

"Dave Liney" wrote the following in:

"Bob Martin" wrote in message

signage to nearest
available Fuel, Food and Lodging, both as lists as you approach
the exit, and as directions from the slip road.

Dspite the fact this has to be a *very* low cost solution (after
all, its just a bit of research, and some signage), I doubt it
would ever happen.

I can think of several reasons why it won't happen that don't rely
on conspiracy theories.

How do you define 'nearest'? As the crow flies; by road; in time
taken? I can see arguments between petrol stations and hotels
about who should be on the list as nearest.

Not a particularly massive issue. Distance by road would seem a fairly
sensible way to decide it. I don't know why you even suggested distance
as the crow flies, because that would really have no relevance to the
motorist.

The signs will need to be kept up-to-date because the last thing
someone running low on fuel needs is to follow the signs off the
motorway to a place that has shut down.

This is hardly likely to be a massive task. I wouldn't have thought
these things change all that frequently.

Also motorway service stations are open 24 hours whereas most
non-motorway petrol stations aren't so opening time information
will have to put on the signs, and this would also have to be kept
up-to-date.

I've seen signs for non 24-hour service stations before. They just say
"non-24 hour".

As the price of fuel on motorway service announcement
signs is no longer displayed, presumably because of the effort
required, it isn't something I'd rely on happening.

Surely the opening hours of a service station are more constant than
the price of fuel?

--
message by Robin May-Silk and his close friend, Robert Kilroy-Kotton
"GIVE IN! IT'S TIME TO GO!" - The NHS offers a high standard of care.

Would you take the office of relief?:
http://robinmay.fotopic.net/p4600200.html