Old June 28th 04, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default London Orbital (M25) - Service Areas

In message , John Rowland
writes
"JB" wrote in message

Actually I agree they used to be horrible (very occasionally
I'll stumble across an unreconstructed one).

I don't agree! My favourite service station is the unreconstructed Medway on
the M2. I think it used to be called Farthing Corner. It should be listed,
because you can really feel the vision of the original motorway service
stations there. The architect clearly believed in the fahn fahn fahn off der
autobahn. The newer service stations see the motorway as a hotrrible source
of noise and fumes to be ignored at all cost.

There *has* actually been a move to get Medway Services [1] listed.

Incidentally, do you know that the overbridge restaurant there was
originally open air?! The idea was that you would have this sort of
"Continental meets Space Age" dining experience of the All New Motorway,
something which would be Quite Different. Of course, it was soon
realised that the weather would render it unusable for a large amount of
time and it was roofed over [2].

[1] You're right to say that it was once called "Farthing Corner".

[2] I'm not sure when, though. Does anyone know?

--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for