Old June 28th 04, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ian Jelf Ian Jelf is offline

Default London Orbital (M25) - Service Areas

In message , Richard J.
writes
This is not a change in design policy. There have been several such
service areas for many years, e.g. Aust on M4 (now Severn View on M48),
Gordano on M5, Exeter on M5, in addition to Scratchwood.

They do seem to have become much more common in recent times, though.

It adds traffic to the junction roundabout, possibly requiring a bigger
junction than would otherwise be necessary, and it adds journey time.

This is certainly the case at Cherwell valley Services, where,
especially since the remodelling of the A43 junction, it seems to take
*ages* to get from the slip road to the services!

It also, in my experience, leads to lower standards in the service area,
perhaps because big does not necessarily mean better.

I haven't personally noticed a difference between standards depending on
the type of service access layout. Rather, it is usually between older
and less used services (eg Frankley) and newer and busier ones (Oxford),
the former being poor and the latter rather better.

What they nearly all have in common is extremely inefficient,
ill-trained staff.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for