Old June 2nd 20, 03:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default New boarding on London's buses

MissRiaElaine wrote:
Lockdown or no lockdown, the thing that worries me the most is how many
of the small businesses and one-man bands will survive after all this..?
Charities which rely on shops for a good proportion if not the majority
of their income may go under.

I'm retired so I'm reasonably ok in that I don't have to go out to work,
although I'm by no means well off. But I do know many small traders and
they are very, very worried.

Yes, there will be far more economic casualties from Covid-19 than those
who get sick. The international travel industry will be among the hardest
hit, from cruise ships to airlines to resorts. Just about all the world's
seaferers and most airline crew are currently not working, and many will
soon be laid off.

For example, Emirates will be laying off thousands of air crew who will not
only lose their jobs, but their residence in Dubai:

Emirates, the state-owned carrier based in Dubai, has laid off about 180
pilots on May 31, as part of its larger plan to reduce costs after being
low because of COVID-19.

Sources told Moneycontrol that the 180 pilots were first officers who were
under training for type-rating on the A380. These pilots were on probation.

"This is the first phase of the layoffs. These pilots were called to the
office and given the letters," a senior executive said. "More announcements
are expected tomorrow," the executive added.

Moneycontrol has seen a copy of one of these letters.

While the notice period for those on probation is seven days, the airline
said that it is extending this to 14 days, as a 'gesture of goodwill.' The
letter added:
"Your last day of service would, therefore, be June 15, and you will
continue to receive your usual company medical benefits... should you be
unable to repatriate due to travel restrictions, your visa will be extended
being your last day of service."

The news comes weeks after reports emerged that the airline will lay off 30
percent of its crew and pilots. This will translate to about 30,000
employees.