Old June 6th 20, 08:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Clive D.W. Feather Clive D.W. Feather is offline

Default New boarding on London's buses

In article , ColinR
..co.uk writes
I'm not talking about debt collectors, I'm talking about a court.

I don't know what powers they have to take your money, but I suspect
it's somewhat higher than someone collecting on behalf of your landlord.

You seem never to watch "Can't pay, they'll take it away" which follows
High Court sheriffs enforcing court orders. Note these are often County
Court orders which have been escalated as sheriffs have greater powers
than bailiffs.

They cannot take your house if you are the owner / mortgage holder but
they can take almost everything else worth money. There are limits, no
beds, cookers etc to allow you to live, but computers, TVs, cars are all
fair game.

Oh, I've seen it. But they're enforcing a civil debt. I'm talking about
enforcing a criminal penalty. Different situation and, for all I know,
different laws apply.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...-debt/dealing-
with-urgent-debts/paying-a-court-fine/

"In extreme cases you could be put in prison, but normally only if the
court thinks you’re deliberately not paying."

That doesn't answer whether they can take your house, but I can't be
bothered to research further.

--
Clive D.W. Feather