Old June 6th 20, 10:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Clive Page[_3_] Clive Page[_3_] is offline

Default New Freedom pass peak hour restriction

On 05/06/2020 18:28, Certes wrote:
It's a long-standing oddity that on Fridays the national bus pass is not valid between 11pm and midnight (after midnight of course it's Saturday with no time restrictions).

...whilst presumably you have to be home by midnight on a Sunday?Â* I
wonder whether the "day" used by the checking driver or machine really
changes at 24:00 or at end of service/transition to night buses.

Some time ago I got on a bus at around 23:15 on a Friday night (I was delayed on another route) and half expected to have to pay, and indeed my bus pass didn't work the machine, but the driver said something to the effect of "don't worry about it" and waved me through. There are so few local buses (outside London) that run after midnight that I haven't been able to check whether it would have worked after midnight. But it certainly works quite early on Saturday mornings.

--
Clive Page