Old July 24th 03, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Dave is offline

Default Spider maps (was Information about Route 187)

Steve Dulieu writes
The other problem with spider maps is if where you want to get to a
certain place but don't know the area, for instance, I know I need to
get to "Blenkinsop Rd" - on the old type map, I find Blenkinsop Rd,
which I see is the next road along from Harris Avenue a stop served by
buses 67a and 89d that run along Tompkinson Street. I also see that bus
89d serves West Neasden Underground station, which is on the Coronation
Line, the same line as my home station Turnpike Green. I therefore know
from one quick and easy look-up that to get to my destination I take a
train from Turnpike Green to West Neasden, then a 89d bus to Harris
Avenue and complete my journey with a short walk. On a spider map,
Blenkinsop Rd is not metioned at all so I'm bolloxed from the off.

One could say the same about the tube map. If travelling from Hangar
Lane to Paddington, if you don't know that Lancaster Gate is just around
the corner from Paddington, then you're 'bolloxed from the off'.

I thought the point of the spider maps was they were to be used in
addition to, not instead of the, the geographic maps. Each has their
good and points; the spider maps are very good at letting you quickly
see the places you can travel to directly from that stop - something
that's quite hard to show on a conventional map.

--
Dave