Old June 26th 20, 10:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default PT today

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:41:15 on Tue, 23 Jun
2020, Recliner remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:24:49 on Sun, 21 Jun
2020, Recliner remarked:

There's nothing in the story from The Telegraph which confirms their
test is *not* one of the kind the MHRA are now saying not to use.

I think you need a drive to Barnard Castle. Then read it again. Or for the
first time.

Please quote the Telegraph text which supports your proposition.

I already had done. So, even when I include text from an article behind a
paywall, you still don't read it. This is part of the extract I included:

Avonchem contacted the Government in March, offering to supply the
finger-prick test,

Finger prick test

but has still not secured Public Health England (PHE) or
Department of Health (DoH) approval for the kits, despite the test being
approved by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA)
and being widely used in other countries.

The pin-prick test is 99.4 per cent accurate, according to independent
verification obtained by Avonchem, with results available in 10 to 15
minutes. But the firm now warns it may have to ship the tests overseas if
it can not secure the necessary approval for their use in this country in
the near future.

Contrast that with:

The MHRA is asking providers of laboratory-based COVID-19 antibody testing
services using capillary blood collected by a fingerprick, to temporarily
stop providing this service

MHRA says "stop the finger prick tests"...

until home collection of this sample type has
been properly assessed and validated for use with these laboratory tests.

...*until*

This does not affect rapid, point of care tests or laboratory tests
performed using blood taken from the vein.

The Agency has recently updated its guidance on home antibody testing kits,
to ensure that the public and industry have the latest information on the
reliability of test results and what they mean.

Graeme Tunbridge, MHRA Interim Director of Devices, comments:

Patient safety and public health are our main priorities and it is in the
interests of everyone for antibody tests to be as reliable and meaningful
as they can be.

There are several UK providers of testing services who offer COVID-19
antibody testing using a fingerprick sample of capillary blood collected in
a small container.

We are asking all providers of laboratory-based COVID-19 antibody testing
services using capillary blood collected by a fingerprick to temporarily
stop providing this service until home collection of this sample type has
been properly assessed and validated for use with these laboratory tests.

——

It shouldn't have taken an intelligent person more than 10-15 seconds to
spot that the last sentence means that the MHRA comment doesn't apply to
the Avonchem test, as it doesn't use home collection for lab testing. If
you still don't get it, perhaps you know an intelligent person who can help
you comprehend?

You've confused yourself. It's not the Avonchem test that's done in the
lab, but the "until" part. And UNTIL they've done that, they don't want
any more pricks [Bites tongue].

The key words are, 'laboratory-based COVID-19 antibody testing'. That
doesn't apply to the Avonchem test.

It's the home collection of pinprick samples for lab analysis that the MHRA
is dubious about; it is explicitly not against 'rapid' tests. Presumably
the problem lies in keeping tiny pinprick blood samples in good condition
during the several days it might take to get them back to the testing lab.
It's not a problem if they're immediately tested.