Old June 29th 20, 07:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Graham Harrison[_4_] Graham Harrison[_4_] is offline

Default TfL expanding its empire

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 19:24:05 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 29/06/2020 18:14, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:05:20 on Mon, 29 Jun
2020, remarked:
How long before TfL is renamed to Network Southeast?

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/ne...fl-inner-subur
ban-take over-plan

If they can do better job than GTR, it would be OK. But one of GTR's
problems is that as probably the busiest classic franchise, they have
bitten off more than they can chew.

I think RAIL's info seems a bit out of date... I don't think any inner
suburbans go past Stevenage any more.

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/202...into-moorgate/
... has a little more info.

How should it be branded. Some people will suggest it should be part of
the Overground, but I think it's more logical to make it part of the
Underground, as the line south of Drayton Park used to be. Stations like
Drayton Park and Essex Road would get more use if they were branded as
U-D, even without any change to frequency, because the U-D has a better
reputation than the O-D. Also Highbury & Islington already has O-D
platforms, and the corridor signage would be impenetrable if it had two
more.

The only potential downside is that the less than stellar service at
stations like Bayford would tarnish the U-D brand, but like Chesham it's
a station that's only used by locals and so won't damage the U-D brand
in the way a bad service at Old Street would. I suspect enthusiasts will
say a train with pantographs should not be part of the U-D, but I don't
think that is a valid basis for quite an important business decision.

I'd call it the Finsbury Line, because it serves Finsbury Park as well
as Finsbury Square / Circus. Or maybe the Alexandra Line - anything but
the Northern City Line, a name that has to be burned at the stake for
wilfully spreading confusion.

Could make the challenge to visit all the Underground stations much
more interesting!

Is there a challenge for all the Underground, Overground and TFL rail
yet?