Old August 3rd 20, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default DLR to Thamesmead

wrote:
On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 14:03:39 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 11:01:53 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 00:03:09 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
Well for a start the transverse seating in DLR trains severly retricts the
number of standees compared to a jubilee train and secondly the DLR trains
trundle along at a slow to moderate speed, there are far too many stops
and too many branches all cramming their trains into the central sections.

The only 'central section' through Poplar is 4-track. But not every DLR
route goes that way. It's not a core route with branches, but a genuine
network.

I said sections, plural. But Bank is the main one and when I last used it
it had trains heading off the Woolwich - presumably for the airport - which
were virtually empty and the ones to canary wharf which were rammed. Plus
the occasional train to and from tower gateway.

People coming from any years-in-the-future DLR Thamesmead branch will
have the opportunity to change to Crossrail at Custom House. That will
get them into Canary Wharf or the City much faster than staying on the
DLR all the way. So they mostly won't be using the Bank branch of the
DLR.

Quite possibly, however that doesn't change the fact that the DLR is the
tubes poor relation and adding yet another branch to it would be a disaster.

It would not be a disaster, and I'm sure we'll see more DLR branches. But I
think there are better ways of serving a major new Thamesmead development,
particularly trams to Abbey Wood.