Old August 10th 20, 09:00 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@nowhere.co.uk is offline

Default Can't update Oyster card with cash any more

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:24:06 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed wrote:
wrote:
I took the tube for the first time in months yesterday and it seems you
can no longer update your oyster card with cash. I asked one of the staff
about this apparently "temporary" measure and he said he doubts the facility
will ever come back and I tend to believe him. So thats another avenue of
anonymity out the window. How long before Oyster cards themselves are
consigned to history and we have to use a bank card everywhere so we can
be nicely tracked not only by TfL but by the banks too?

I doubt TFL pass your journey details on to the banks, only the final
charge. So your bank will know you were on the TFL network, but not where.

The banks have enough info about me already, they don't need any more.

But if you wanted to be anonymous you wouldn’t be using a bank card anyway,

Hence the point about cash payment.

as you will be more finely geolocated by any other use of your cards. And,
of course, you will have your mobile phone switched off, because that
continuously reveals your location.

I do generally, but mainly to save the battery.