Old September 15th 20, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Hammersmith Horror story

"Recliner" wrote in message
D A Stocks wrote:
"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 16:02:11 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

D A Stocks wrote:

It must be about time they dismantled the bridge for restoration and
preservation as an exhibit elsewhere (e.g. in a park) and built
something
more suitable for 21st century traffic in its place. Attempting to
repair
and maintain a structure that is barely fit for purpose is a waste of
time
and money.

Yes, that would probably be cheaper and quicker than restoring it to
full
service. I wonder if they'd be allowed to build a modern, much
stronger,
visually-identical replacement?

If you preserve the original why do you need a visually identical
replacement? Let's stop building faux-old buildings and structures and
build something modern.

Precisely. Why build a not fit for purpose visually identical replacement
when you can put something useful there instead?

The people in the area with river views would say any modern-looking,
award-winning, bridge was 'hideous'.

I suspect by now they are so ****ed off with having to fight their way
through Putney or Mortlake to cross the river that they will happily accept
any replacement bridge. Maybe that's the plan, but I doubt it.

--
DAS