Old September 18th 20, 09:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
michael adams[_6_] michael adams[_6_] is offline

Default Boatstitution

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
On 18/09/2020 19:05, Richard J. wrote:
Recliner wrote on Fri Sep 18 2020 09:10:37 GMT+0100 (BST)
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 18/09/2020 08:21, Recliner wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743169/Pupils-39-000-year-St-Pauls-School-ferried-Thames-BOATS-bridge-shuts.html

I would have thought they could have organised a proper ferry. Shouldn't
be that difficult.

Agreed, I wonder why they haven't?

It's not that easy. I don't think there's a suitable pier or landing stage on the
Richmond/Barnes side ("Surrey bank"). Whatever you build has to cope with the tides
which vary the water level by up to 6 metres. In fact the predicted spring tide
tomorrow afternoon happens to be exactly 6 metres above the morning low tide at
Hammersmith.

How much would a temporary pontoon cost? Should be relatively easy for the school to
arrange. After all there's a load on unwanted pontoons at Southampton right now!

At low tide the pontoons are sat on the mud of the foreshore on the
Hammersmith Bank and the same would apply on the other
bank, Basically all river users have to regulate their activities in
accordance with the tides whereas schools need to keep to regular
hours.

Quite possibly many of the ferried boys are already rowers themselves
so ferrying them across in this way is no hardship but rather a novelty.

michael adams