Old October 6th 20, 11:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Latest Crossrail Wild video

Basil Jet wrote:
On 06/10/2020 11:49, Trolleybus wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 10:42:26 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

On 06/10/2020 10:06, Recliner wrote:

Yes. Personally, I don't think Crossrail should go as far as Reading. I
think Slough was far enough.

Windsor IMO, assuming crossing the mainline is at all possible.

It's single track from Slough and a single platform, so capacity and
the ability to recover during disruption are poor.

I think the entire formation is double track. The station is massive and
used to have three platforms, although most of it is taken up with
restaurant seating areas at the moment which could be repurposed. I'm
surprised no-one mentioned that the line is not electrified and would
need to be. I don't think any of these are show stoppers, although
crossing the fast lines at Slough could be.

It would need something like the Hitchin flyover in a built-up area to
cross the main lines: huge and expensive. There's no way that would have
been done, and for what reason? The cost of electrifying the Windsor
branch would be trivial by comparison.