Old October 17th 20, 09:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Congestion charge to N/S Circular??????

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a4571826.html
Other media available

As a disinterested party, I can't believe that anyone is seriously
suggesting this

The N/S Circular area isn't like the central area where everyone inside
it is moderately well off, or lives in a bubble where they can walk/bus
to whatever service that they need.

People who live in the "Circular" area, are people in normal employment
with lives that mean that they have to have a car.

and an annual tax of 5,475 pounds to own one, is bloody ridiculous

If residents get the same 90% discount as with the current CC that'd be
547.5.

only for the first vehicle

many families are going to have 2

the discount is limited to one vehicle per /resident/ not per household.
See Annex 3 to the Order: "At no time may particulars of more than one
vehicle be entered in the register, in relation to any one individual who
is a qualified resident."

"As part of temporary changes to the Congestion Charge, the residents'
discount is closed to new applicants"

...to discourage car ownership in the CC zone. I suggest they'd never get
away with that within the N/S circulars. Apart from anything else a lot
of Assembly Members (and MPs) would be clobbered.

but it's potentially being imposed upon these people by national government

the opposition parties looking for re-election locally can argue that they
have clean hands

by my count, the Tories have 2 constituencies and 1 assembly seat in this
new CC zone, not already inside the old one

tim