Old October 17th 20, 10:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin[_6_] Robin[_6_] is offline

Default Congestion charge to N/S Circular??????

On 17/10/2020 11:06, Recliner wrote:
tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 17/10/2020 08:00, tim... wrote:

"Robin" wrote in message
On 16/10/2020 17:06, tim... wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...-a4571826.html

Other media available

As a disinterested party, I can't believe that anyone is seriously
suggesting this

The N/S Circular area isn't like the central area where everyone inside
it is moderately well off, or lives in a bubble where they can walk/bus
to whatever service that they need.

People who live in the "Circular" area, are people in normal employment
with lives that mean that they have to have a car.

and an annual tax of 5,475 pounds to own one, is bloody ridiculous

If residents get the same 90% discount as with the current CC that'd be
547.5.

only for the first vehicle

many families are going to have 2

the discount is limited to one vehicle per /resident/ not per household.
See Annex 3 to the Order: "At no time may particulars of more than one
vehicle be entered in the register, in relation to any one individual who
is a qualified resident."

"As part of temporary changes to the Congestion Charge, the residents'
discount is closed to new applicants"

...to discourage car ownership in the CC zone. I suggest they'd never get
away with that within the N/S circulars. Apart from anything else a lot
of Assembly Members (and MPs) would be clobbered.

but it's potentially being imposed upon these people by national government

the opposition parties looking for re-election locally can argue that they
have clean hands

by my count, the Tories have 2 constituencies and 1 assembly seat in this
new CC zone, not already inside the old one

I had in mind MPs from other constituencies with accommodation inside
the zone - plus others such as Dominic Cummings

I'd imagine that it would also severely impact people living or working
just outside the Circular Roads, and they wouldn't even have the option of
a resident's discount.

I suppose this confirms that the Tories have completely written off their
already very slim chances of winning the London mayoralty next year.

I took that as given when Bailey was selected

--
Robin