Old October 19th 20, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar@nuttyella.co.uk is offline

Default Manhattan-on-Thames, Nine Elms

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:59:19 +0100
Recliner wrote:
On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:53:40 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 13:46:44 +0100
Recliner wrote:
With all the fuss being made, rightly, about the soon-to-depart 38TS on the
Island Line, it occurred to me that SWR has
another Birmingham-built fleet due to retire soon, probably with no home to

go
to. Like the class 483s, these trains are
being retired for a second time, but their total life may only be a quarter

as
long. I think both classes were even

It strikes me a lot of money has being spent in buying new stock on the
railways when the old stock is perfectly servicable which would be fine if
money were growing on trees , but it wasn't even before covid. Binning
trains built in 2000 (virtually brand new if it was on LU) just seems an
absurd waste of resource.

What would be really strange is if the 458s really are scrapped when much
older EMUs remain in service, such as the
313s.

And the 319s which have been given a new lease of life, though I suspect
the hydrogen train is a non starter. An entire carraige full of equipment and
still only reaching 50mph isn't going to cut it anywhere.