Old June 30th 04, 10:52 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Mark Hewitt Mark Hewitt is offline

Default London Orbital (M25) - Service Areas

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Bob Martin
writes

I don't know what the official policy is for signs to off-motorway
services, but all those I can recall have been very close-by on major
roads, rather than on local side roads, and tend to point to service
areas that offer the full range of motorway-style facilities.

There are very strict rules for motorway service areas. Much of which are
designed to prevent the service area becoming a destination for local
travellers. i.e. They don't want locals using the motorway more just to get
to the service station. Which is why the type of things they can sell is
limited, you won't see a furniture shop at a M/way services for example.

Some of the rules I've seen suggest that services should not be accessible
from outside the motorway, however I can think of numerous examples where
this is not the case.