Old November 3rd 20, 06:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london
tim...[_2_] tim...[_2_] is offline

Default Crossrail 2 Cancelled

"Recliner" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-funding-deal

well not really cancelled, as it has never actually been confirmed, more
mothballed

But I can't see it being resurrected any time soon, not if commuter
numbers
are permanently on a downwards projectory.

Also "TfL will also have to further investigate driverless trains"

surely they do that as a matter of course anyway?

It has to be a long term aim, but it's a 25 year solution to TFL's
funding
not one that can be implemented on a 1 year one timeframe

Yes, Crossrail 2 was off the agenda for quite a while, anyway.

Not mentioned in that story is that the mayor may also have to raise more
money for TfL through a precept on council taxes. This would be for the
Freedom Pass to continue.

Horary, my neighbours are going to have to pay more for me to travel free

TBH, I could live with it becoming bus (and tram) only. I only use the
train/tube at the margins of my travel. I suspect that this applies to the
vast majority of "necessary "users of the pass. Only the percentage who
still work and use it for travel to work would really notice this change.

(I guess you might be able to find a journey out in the sticks where there's
a point to point rail journey to nearest shopping centre, that doesn't have
a parallel bus)

tim