Old November 8th 20, 10:23 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_4_] Recliner[_4_] is offline

Default Manhattan-on-Thames, Nine Elms

D A Stocks wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

Yes, I'm talking about the unloved class 458 fleet. I'd not travelled in
them before, so I felt I should give them a try
while they're still in service. I found that they're surprisingly
comfortable — I wonder if Ian Walmsley managed to
sneak comfortable seats in when the 458s and 460s were being refurbished
to become the 458/5s?

I commuted on the 460s for a while when they were new. The seating was their
only redeeming feature. Otherwise the interior lighting was very harsh, the
announcements and door chimes stupidly loud, and the air-conditioning
extremely noisy. At least the journey only lasted 30 minutes if you were
lucky.

I think the 458s were essentially the same train with another stupid cab
end - the original end doors had to be locked OOU when units ran in
multiple - and nasty high-density seating.

I also used the latest version of the 458s fairly frequently for a while
and, as far as I could tell, the 460 seating was retained when the cars were
incorporated into the fleet so maybe you were just lucky.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I need to try them again, picking a
carriage with different seating?

Talking about GatEx trains, the current 387/2s have horrible, upright, hard
seats, like most modern trains.