Old December 12th 20, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default There's one line that won't be short of drivers...

In message , at 14:24:18 on
Sat, 12 Dec 2020, Recliner remarked:

Wouldn't some aluminium and various other bits of gubbins between the
pilot and outside at least partly offset radiation? Is the problem mainly
ionising radiation or UV?

UV *is* ionising radation, although nothing like as good at it as the
higher frequencies are.

I assume UV would all be blocked by the fuselage; would the windscreens not also block some or all of it?

The other ionising radiation will penetrate the windscreens much more easily than the fuselage, meaning the pilots are
at more risk than cabin crew. However, I think cabin crew do more flying hours in a month, so it might balance out.

Presumably the new carbon fibre fuselages provide less protection than the traditional alloy skins?

All of this is routine H&S stuff for at least a generation. I suggest
you don't lose any sleep over it.