Old July 1st 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Curious extra station stops on Southern's Watford-Brighton service

On 1 Jul 2004 08:21:02 -0700, (LarryLard) wrote:

As I understand it, Southern's Watford - Brighton services (via
Olympia and Clapham Junction) usual calling pattern southbound is

Harrow & Wealdstone, Wembley Central (sometimes), Olympia, Clapham
Junction, East Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Three Bridges, Haywards Heath
and Brighton

Idly browsing today, however, I found that the 1727 ex Watford - and
apparently *only* this service, all day! - additionally calls at
Streatham Common and Selhurst. Not at any of the other suburban
stations en route from Clapham Junction to East Croydon, mind - just
those two. Just that service.

Why could this be?

a complete guess but I'd imagine it stays on the slow lines to make
those stops so it provides a fill in service in the evening peak and
means one less conflicting move near Clapham Junction in the middle of
the peak when Network Rail will want to maximise capacity on the fast
lines.

The stops may also serve to maintain an appropriate headway and thus a
better path into the mass of trains trying to get into and through East
Croydon.
--
Paul C