Old April 9th 21, 11:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default LO lines to be named

wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 18:07:28 +0100
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 08/04/2021 15:53, wrote:
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 13:56:46 +0100
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 13:16, Sam Wilson wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 08/04/2021 06:24, Recliner wrote:

Obviously not an option with LO, as the fleet is mostly shared between
routes. '

Shared over a week, but are there any shared diagrams? Is there any
downside to having mostly dedicated fleets with a few spares in
corporate livery?

I haven’t noticed it so much recently, but Edinburgh used to have quite a

lot of dedicated buses with the route number included in the livery as well

as on the indicator blinds.

London too... Route 13 springs to mind
http://www.showbus.co.uk/photos/jjd417d.JPG

That was a special service though. IIRC 13 was the only route left with
Routemasters on it. If however you're a bus company with multiple routes
and a general fleet of buses, painting specific route numbers on the sides
doesn't sound like the smartest idea for obvious reasons.

Quite a lot do it though.

Yes, I find it a bit odd tbh as it must limit vehicle flexibility
considerably.

It needs a handful of extra unbranded spare vehicles across a fleet, which
was obviously considered and costed when the first few companies began to
introduce it. It's obviously seen as a worthwhile expenditure for the
increased visual recognition of the buses and routes, not just among
passengers but among potential passengers, including those who don't
realise they're potential passengers yet.

In any case, it's not uncommon for different routes to have different
fleets in any case, even if they're not branded differently - eg in my area
the 'prime' pair of routes (direct to the city centre) have always had
newer vehicles than the routes which meander through less salubrious parts
of town on their way to the centre.

Not to mention different vehicle sizes - in the '90s Crosville Wales around
where I lived, had some routes operated by the small minibuses, some by
bigger minibuses, some by small full-size buses, some by bigger full-size
buses and finally the double decker routes.

Anna Noyd-Dryver