Old April 10th 21, 10:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Certes Certes is offline

Default LO lines to be named

On 10/04/2021 22:08, Recliner wrote:
Certes wrote:
On 10/04/2021 16:57, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 10/04/2021 16:36, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 15:31:50 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:04:28 -0000 (UTC)
Well blue hydrogen is a non starter, but even green hydrogen is far
less
efficient in wind turbine to wheel energy terms taking in every
stage + the
vehicle itself than simply charging up a battery. Something like 50%
for a
battery EV vs 30% for green H2 I remember reading. The only single
advantage
H2 has over batteries is recharge time, other than that its hopeless.

Recharge time and capacity. It has a much higher energy density than
current and projected future batteries, unless there's a big step change
(possible at some stage, but not imminent). .

That matters for long distance lorries and buses for whom suitable
batteries
would be a ridiculous size, but for cars its not even an issue right now,
never mind as technology advances. Yes, they're maybe half a ton heavier
than an equivalent ICE car at most, but the vehicle size is the same, if
not a bit smaller.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56678669

[Re yellow lorry image, top] Is the trailer for the batteries?

My assumption was that all the cargo was carried in the trailer, with the
lorry just hauling the batteries.

That would be more practical, insofar as having a goods vehicle that
carries around more mechanics than cargo could ever be practical.