Old April 11th 21, 11:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tweed[_2_] Tweed[_2_] is offline

Default LO lines to be named

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:15:18 on Sun, 11 Apr
2021, Graeme Wall remarked:

Rather than laying a whole new cable, can't the existing cable
supplying every house be used?

Not enough capacity and doesn't necessarily go where you think it
would.

I've lived in two village now where about half the houses are [still]
supplied by 240v wiring on poles, which looks a bit like phone cables,
unless you know better.

Which reminds me....

It’s oft been stated that we can’t hang optic fibre cables off power poles
in rural areas (which would make it so very much cheaper and easier)
because we don’t/can’t possibly do that sort of thing because the power
companies and phone companies couldn’t possibly safely work together etc
etc. Last weekend I was sat in a pretty little Northamptonshire village
looking at a wooden telegraph pole that carried household power
distribution (4 wire along the length of the road, single overhead cable to
the house) and a couple of feet below were the phone cables. The whole
village was so fitted.