Old April 11th 21, 12:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Marland Marland is offline

Default LO lines to be named

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 10:15:18 on Sun, 11 Apr
2021, Graeme Wall remarked:

Rather than laying a whole new cable, can't the existing cable
supplying every house be used?

Not enough capacity and doesn't necessarily go where you think it
would.

I've lived in two village now where about half the houses are [still]
supplied by 240v wiring on poles, which looks a bit like phone cables,
unless you know better.

I would think it is actually 415v ( if you are using 240).

Were your villages still 4 individual wire for the 3 phases and earth
mounted vertically?
A lot like ours has been replaced by ABC cable. Has the disadvantage you
can’t nick electricity using some welding cables with clamps a wooden
ladder and thick rubber gloves, no I wouldn’t do it but I knew a farmer who
did. It wasn’t the cost of electric so much as it was a convenient way to
get electricity to a lambing shed for a few weeks to run a heater.

Not just villages either quite a few towns were cabled the same way but
have since been changed,
Holsworthy in Devon was changed about 4 or 5 years ago.
I’m pleased from an industrial archaeology point of view that when they
removed the poles either by design or because it was too awkward the grey
post here

https://goo.gl/maps/ByiJCQygU3DoKfGP7

was left in place as it bears the initials of the original private
electricity provider from the early days in the 1920’s.
The bollard did a good job protecting it and the pole over the years.

GH