Old April 11th 21, 07:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Sam Wilson[_2_] Sam Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default LO lines to be named

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:47:51 on Sun, 11 Apr
2021, Sam Wilson remarked:
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 14:42:30 on Sun, 11
Apr 2021, Marland remarked:

I think it was the 1970’s when the lightening protection cable
linking the pylons out of Fawley was replaced by a new combined cable
developed by BICC as one of the first experimental links to use it.

The Energis Internet backbone.

And later similar techniques by Scottish Power/Scottish Telecom/

That's right, the Scottish Equivalent of Energis.

thus/

Mainly the old Demon empire, bought by ST; rebranded.

Our dealings were mainly with the non-Demon side; ST people at various
points thanked the Scottish University MANs (metropolitan area networks,
though that was a slight misnomer given the geography of Scotland) for
giving them the impetus to build out their dark fibre backbones.

Cable & Wireless/Vodafone. I think the rump is still in the Vodafone
empire.

C&W bought Energis and thus; and later Vodafone bought C&W.

Yes, and my former employer is still leasing dark fibre from Vodafone which
was installed by SP/ST. There was a bit of a wobble when thus were
swallowed by C&W - C&W tried to insist that they weren’t in the market for
leasing dark fibre and our thus contacts (who retained their separate
identity for some time) had to work hard to suggest that we were valued
customers who weren’t going to be happy replace their dark fibre with
shared managed services. Vodafone don’t seem to have minded.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as
Spit the dummy to reply