Old July 2nd 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tony Bryer Tony Bryer is offline

Default Spot the mistakes

In article , Dave Arquati wrote:
Recently there have been rumours that the government is considering
axing Kingston from the Crossrail 1 plans. The line may now finish
instead at Richmond or Turnham Green.

We had letters in our local paper (Richmond & Twickenham Times) asking
whether it could be routed round the Hounslow loop to Feltham. If
there is a town in Japan called Kamikaze perhaps we could be twinned
with it!

At least Kingston have learned their lesson: in the 1830's they fought
hard to keep the railway out so as to protect the coaching trade -
which is why the main line goes through Surbiton which then didn't
exist. By the time what became the Kingston loop was being planned in
the 1850's they vowed to fight any proposed railway extension in the
area that didn't go to Kingston.

--
Tony Bryer