Old May 8th 21, 05:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Anna Noyd-Dryver Anna Noyd-Dryver is offline

Default I.O.W reopening delayed.

wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 12:32:05 -0000 (UTC)
Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
wrote:
through the tunnel provides plenty of ventilation into the station. In fact
the doors actually prevent a lot of that leaving some station platforms
uncomfortable on hot days IME when I worked at Canary Wharf particularly
London Bridge.

The piston effect of the trains pumps hot air around the tunnels from one
station to another, great.

No, it pushes some of the hot air out of the station and draws some cold
air in. Next time you're at Holborn stand at the top of the escalators and
you'll see what I mean. No idea why the effect is so strong at that station,
perhaps fewer ventilation shafts.

If you visit very hot places like Singapore or Hong Kong you'll find that
almost every underground metro station has full-height platform edge doors
which completely isolate the air in the tunnels from the air in the

And LU doesn't. What does that tell you?

Used properly, it can be very effective.

No doubt. The LU system isn't very effective at it, but it is effective at
stopping people falling on the track. I imagine the reason its not on the
above ground sections of the JLE is that the mechanisms arn't built to
withstand the elements and there'd be constant failures.

As I posted last time we discussed this topic, several systems worldwide
have platform edge doors (half height and full height) on open platforms.

Anna Noyd-Dryver