Old July 2nd 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Spot the mistakes

Dave Arquati wrote:
"Dave Arquati" wrote in message

Another mistake:

Crossrail 1, which is a £10 million joint venture between
Transport for London and the Strategic Rail Authority, will
create a brand new network
of services linking areas to the east and west of London. It
would give Kingston a direct rail link to Heathrow and Paddington
for the first
time if it comes to the royal borough.

Would it? While Crossrail may be planned to go to Heathrow, you
wouldn't be able to get there directly from Kingston...

Angus

If it only costs £10 million, then we want five Croxley Links in
the Watford area!

Burkey

Yes and yes. It frightens me sometimes that people in charge of
disseminating information to the masses don't even bother to get
their facts straight. I can understand the £10m thing - it's
stupid but it's probably a relatively easy mistake.
However, the Heathrow thing is complete ignorance of the thing
they're reporting, which annoys me. All they need to do is to look
at one map...

Regrettably, this is is typical of the standard of journalism on the
Richmond & Twickenham Times. I notice that, despite the title of the
paper, they didn't bother to contrast Kingston's views with those of
Richmond Council leader Tony Arbour, who has been vociferous in his
opposition to Crossrail. Anyway, according to 2003 figures, the paper
sells a grand total of 54 copies in Kingston, so it's hardly "the
masses" who were misinformed.
--
Richard J.