Old July 5th 04, 09:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default What is happening tomorrow?

Martin wrote:
In article ,
says...
I have seen several notices reminding me that Regent Street is to
be closed during the day tomorrow, Tuesday 6 July. Yesterday,
when being driven across Hyde Park on our way home from a weekend
away, we noticed that all public roads in it, too, will be closed
tomorrow.

What am I missing? I mean, is something special happening that
everybody knows about and I'm just dim, or is it something obscure?
Anybody know?

I think tomorrow is the Formula 1 demonstration event. Nigel
Mansell and others will be driving F1 cars up and down Regent
Street. Probably best not to allow pedestrians to wander across
while it's happening.

What is the actual purpose of this event, and why is being allowed to
disrupt the commercial life of central London again, just a week after a
Tube strike? Is there perhaps a charity that will benefit, or is it
just to inject some interest into the Schumacher-led procession on
Sunday, otherwise known as the Silverstone Grand Prix?
--
Richard J.