Old July 6th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Tube History Book

Tim Gowen writes:
I used to see a hard back book with a Tube Map showing how it was every
year up to 2003, but when I recently tried to buy it it'd vanished and I
had to content myself with a folded map.

The book was in the Underground style, with a list of opened and closed
stations for each year.

Anyone know where I can find it?

I'm sure Clive Feather won't mind me posting this excerpt from an email
message he sent me a few days ago, after visiting Motor Books in Leicester
Squa

| Something else that Motor Books had was a new hardback from Capital
| Transport. I failed to note either title or author, but it's a series of
| historical Diagrams of the Underground. Each double page covers a
| significant period (5 to 10 years) and has a Diagram on the right hand
| side and a load of detail (openings, closings, station renamings,
| historical notes) on the left. All of the diagrams are done to the same
| layout[*], but show only the lines and stations open at the reference
| date for that double page. Modern line colours are used throughout,
| except that the CCE&HR is shown as black touching circles (diameter
| roughly equal to the width of the other lines) and the GN&CR is
| variously purple or black touching circles. An early map has the line
| from Hammersmith to Richmond in the salmon colour typically used for
| "BR".
|
| I only had a brief look, so I may have missed details or misremembered.
|
|[*] That is, any given station or line segment will be at the same
| absolute position on each page that it appears on.

However, a quick look at http://www.capitaltransport.com/ does not
show a book that seems to meet that description (it's *not* "No Need to
Ask!", "Mr Beck's Underground Map", or "The London Underground: a
diagrammatic history"). So maybe Clive was wrong as to the publisher,
or as to the book being new.
--
Mark Brader | "...having compressed some 300 million years into
Toronto | two paragraphs, I have left out some details."