Old July 7th 04, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Free Transport In London

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:38:37 +0100, "Robin Mayes"
wrote:

"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

Whilst the Fare's Fare scheme was in operation passenger numbers increased
markedly, and fell even more noticably when the High Court's fare increase
was imposed.

And today we are still suffering from the legacy of increased wear caused by
Fare's Fare passenger increase and reduction in asset replacement budget.

How do you work that one out? Fares Fair was back in 1981 and lasted
until 1982 IIRC. I don't see how a short lived fare subsidy scheme can
have the effects you mention.

Many other factors came into play after 1981 that affected the ridership
levels on LUL - mostly the Lawson boom up to 1987 which pushed usage up
to record levels.
--
Paul C