Old July 7th 04, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Roger Hughes Roger Hughes is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:34:47 GMT, Dave Kahn
wrote:

But is there a proven alternative to speed bumps, round or
flat tops, and the raised platforms our Council are fitting at
each minor road junction?

Yes. Cobbled Streets. Durable and encouraging of slower driving. Oh
and I kinda like that Yankee idea of 4-way stops!

The French largely gave up on them after 1968 as the cobbles made good
ammunition for the students to throw at the police.

The Belgian village I lived in until last year had cobbles through the
centre. Didn't slow anyone down a great deal (unlike the
single-vehicle wide railway bridge at one end of the main through
route) and was very noisy. Needed relaying most years.

Still liked them though.