Old July 8th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Gawnsoft Gawnsoft is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

On 6 Jul 2004 06:58:56 -0700, (James) wrote (more or
less):

"taywood" wrote in message ...
Marc Brett wrote:
Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

But is there a proven alternative to speed bumps, round or
flat tops, and the raised platforms our Council are fitting at
each minor road junction?

Yes. Cobbled Streets. Durable and encouraging of slower driving.

Not actually durable - you'll often find structural subsidence in
cobbled streets. The surface is quite long lasting tho' - but at the
cost of having /very/ low grip, and even worse in the wet!

Oh and I kinda like that Yankee idea of 4-way stops!

--
Cheers,
Euan