Old July 8th 04, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Alistair Bell Alistair Bell is offline

Default TfL Vision of the Future map

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message ws.com...
Actually, the situation at Clapham Junction is interesting because the map
shows the existing Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction line as Silverlink
Metro, continuing unbroken (implying no change of train) as the ELL
extension. Does this mean WJ-CJ trains will be routed to use one of the
high-numbered platforms at CJ (as for long-distance trains that use the
WJ-CJ line), since Platform 2 at CJ is a terminus platform!

No. My understanding (and it could be wrong) is that WJ-CJ trains and
ELL trains will use Platforms 1 and 2, which are opposite faces of the
same platform. Platform 1 doesn't have track at the moment, but that
should be easily remedied. Which will use which, I'm not sure because
I can't quite remember the exact layout of the tracks right now -- I
think ELL will get Platform 1. Either way, both approach CJ from the
east (London end).

Lots of interesting additions:

- Shepherd's Bush to Uxbridge, presumably along GW Main line for some of the
route - will it then use the disused trackbed of the GW Main Line - Uxbridge
Vine Street line, I wonder?

No, it's on-street along the A4020.

- Heathrow to Essex and Kent via Crossrail: I wonder if this will be the
death knell of the premium-rate Heathrow Express service?

Crossrail's documents state that it will replace HEx. I don't know if
premium fares will be charged -- my guess is that they will, to
Heathrow only.

- North London Line terminating at Stratford instead of continuing to North
Woolwich

That's the only actual closure on the map, I think. It's planned
basically because (a) the NLL beyond Stratford will be almost
completely duplicated once the DLR extension to City Airport/North
Woolwich/Woolwich is open, (b) half of it is single and really cramps
the timetable on the rest of the line, (c) turning Stratford to
Canning Town into a DLR line is the most feasible method of serving
Stratford International.

- Greenwich Waterfront line - interesting!

Yes, I liked that -- hadn't seen details of that before. Amazing how
many tram (or tram-like) systems there are planned in London (one
existing system with extensions and three new ones on the map). Hope
they're all compatible enough so that if at some point they join up
you can get through running (a la Cologne/Bonn where the two systems
do run through)

- Cross River Transit using a re-opened Aldwych station

Using a surface station near the old Aldwych station.

- Thameslink using ECML as well as existing MML - I wonder how far north it
will serve on the ECML

That's just TL3K. Goes to Peterborough/Kings Lynn.

Of course, the biggest omission is Chelney and any concept of where
that will go and what it will serve. I'd love to have seen that. And
have they really cut the ELL back that far at the north end? Sure it
can't run via Primrose Hill to Willesden Junction platform 2?