Old July 9th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dominic Dominic is offline

Default Decks vs hinges

Spyke wrote in message ...
In message , John Rowland
writes
"Marc Brett" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:49:53 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Why are bendy-buses not double-decker?

Because the passengers on the top deck
would get barbequed every other month?

You couldn't have a continuous floor upstairs, but I don't see why the front
half and the back half couldn't have self-contained upstairs sections.

I presume that the simple answer is that double-deckers are big,
lumbering and difficult to manoeuvre, bendy-buses are long, bendy and
difficult to manoeuvre, so combining the two would be a recipe for
trouble.

The Neoplan Jumbocruiser was an double deck articulated coach, which
was available in both 'tractor and trailer' and 'pusher' versions. The
'pusher' version was apparently unstable, which is surprising given
that it's the more common arrangement for bendies these days.

These sites describe the vehicle:
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/neoplan/jumbocruiser.htm
http://jumbocruiser.mysite.wanadoo-m....uk/page7.html

Dominic