Old July 9th 04, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Decks vs hinges

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 at 12:27:10, Robin May
wrote:
No it's not. I don't know where you got that idea from. Low floor
double deckers with wheelchair ramps are considered fully accessible
for wheelchair users. The fact that a wheelchair user could not get
upstairs in a double decker bendy bus is most certainly *not* the
reason that bendy buses are not double decker.

Er - ever heard of sarcasm? Modern buses are certainly accessible to
wheelchair users in a way that the Routemasters were not, but they are
far less accessible to people with other disabilities - the elderly, for
instance, who appreciate a helpful arm getting on and off, or those who
are able to stand and walk a little, but who now have to walk quite a
long
way down the bus to find a seat. If they can.

I think that although accessible buses have their advantages, the
disappearance of conductors actually raises more problems than it
solves.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004