Old July 9th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Dave Arquati Dave Arquati is offline

Default Free Transport In London

Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 16:38:02 +0100, Annabel Smyth
wrote:

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 at 15:54:08, Henry wrote:

Didn't Ken try to introduce a very low flat fare (5 or 10p) when he was
leader of the GLC, only to get it squashed by one of the Borough Councils in
a court case?

Long time ago, but I have a vague recollection.

Yes, he halved the then Tube fare, and the good people of Bromley, not
having the Tube, yelped loudly about having to pay an increase in the
rates (as it then was) to pay for it, and sued - and won. Ken, sadly,
had to increase fares again. I don't remember what he wanted to do
about the buses, though.

As I have the Fares Fair leaflet here are some sample prices (new fare
being the Fares Fair price)

Zone 1 (West end & City in those days) - old fare 80p, new fare 30p

Euston to Balham (Z1-3) - old fare 95p, new fare 50p

Hounslow Central to Holborn (Z1-4) - old fare £1.25, new fare 70p

Hornchurch to Mile End (Z2-6) - old fare £1.10, new fare 80p

On the buses the fares were

short hop - 10p
One zone - 20p, weekly bus pass £2, monthly £7.50
Two zones - 30p, weekly bus pass £3, monthly £11
three or more zones - 40p, weekly bus pass £4, monthly £14.50

Travelcards did not exist at this point so a season ticket comparison
isn't really valid.

Post the Bromley judgement fares doubled but on 22/5/83 "Just the
Ticket" was launched with brought about a fares reduction and the
introduction of Travelcards.

(snip)

Interestingly, now there are only two boroughs without a TfL rail-based
service - Bexley and Kingston.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7