Old July 9th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
John Rowland John Rowland is offline

Default Decks vs hinges

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message

I was trying to ask if there was any
conflict between decks and hinges,

Yes. Articulated vehicles don't just bend left to right, they bend up and
down as well. Assuming that the lower floor was of a fixed length, the upper
floor would have to be able to change length, i.e. there would need to be
something like a concertina section in the *floor* of the upper deck. The
best I can think of would be to have something like the combs used at the
end of an escalator, but because the combs would be sliding back and forth
unpredictably, I think it would be less safe than an escalator.

Hang on, there is also twisting to think of. That scuppers the combs idea,
so the only way to have a double-decker bendibus would be to have two
separate upper decks with two staircases.

Then again, if the bendibus had only four wheels - one at the front, two in
the articulation and one at the back - there would be no twisting movements
to worry about, so that resuscitates the combs idea.

I don't know what I'm talking about. I should shut up.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped