Old July 10th 04, 08:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Decks vs hinges

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 00:43:22 +0100, Stuart
wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

Why couldn't a double-decker bendy have three doors, like a single-decker?

3 sets of doors on a double decker would leave very little space for
downstairs seating

depends on how big the bus is. Berlin seem to be happy about such an
idea
http://www.mn.man.de/index/MAN-Nutzf...ews/pt212e.htm

I know people will say "they don't fit on london streets" but given that
tour bus operators happily run ex Hong Kong 12m buses all over the
central area you'll excuse me if I'm a tad cynical about TfL's refusal
to use such buses.

Buses of all sizes and configurations have their place in an operation
to size of London's. Big double decks would do very well on routes like
the 25, 29 or 253/4 where there is a balance between short and long
trips. I would prefer to see them on a route like the 73 as well but
alas that is not going to happen. I'll just wait for the moment two
bendies meet at the junction of Church St and Albion Rd in Stoke
Newington and see how long it takes for the bendies to untangle
themselves :-)
--
Paul C