Old July 10th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default LU Stock Transfer Routes

"Jack Taylor" Jack @Carney.co.uk wrote in message k...
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

I guess that begs the question of why A stock was given a profile that

they knew
would not fit in some of the sub surface tunnels. After all , the

underground was
well and truly integrated in the 60s so it wasn't because the met line was

still
a seperate competing railway, and London Transport had no way of knowing

where
the trains might be needed in 20 or 30 years. Seems a strange design

decision to
make to me.

By that token one could then also equally argue why did they give the D78
stock the profile that it has, knowing that it will not fit around the west
side of the Circle Line, requiring C69/77 stock to be used on District line
Wimbleware services.

Well quite.

main line in years to come. Perhaps we will then be arguing about how
unsuitable the stock is on one or other of the lines because it was not
purpose-built for the line in question?

Its quite easy to build a number of variations that all have the same loading
gauge and profile but perhaps different numbers of doors and internal layout
for the different types of routes they'll run. IMO building a train that won't
physically fit on a large portion of your network is at best short sighted and
at worst just plain bloody stupid.

B2003