Old July 12th 04, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Decks vs hinges

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 at 14:33:23, Cheeky wrote:

Drifting slightly OT, I know, but the reason here in Manchester that I
(and others) gravitate towards the lower deck on a bus is the reduced
threat of physical violence and/or avoidiing tobacco/cannabis fumes.
Needless to say Stagecoach don't give a f*** :-(

Seldom a problem on London Buses, I find. I won't say "never", but
mostly people obey the non-smoking ordinances.

But reverting to the topic of "accessible" buses, my blind sister-in-law
and I were laughing yesterday at the fact that the bell-pushes have
braille letters on them telling you what they are - by the time you have
felt around to find them, we reckoned, you would know you had without
needing to be told!

However she agreed, as did her son (who is registered blind but, unlike
his mother, does have some residual peripheral vision), that the
painting of poles and step edges yellow was a Good Thing.
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004