Old July 12th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Decks vs hinges

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 at 05:01:58, Alistair McIndoe
wrote:

And then you've got the double-decker trains that go under bits of Paris.
RTAP or RER or whatever. Why does most of the Paris metro smell like a
sewer? London's tubes don't whiff like that. I know Paris is marginally
closer to the equator (and marginally further away from the Arctic), but is
a climate difference to blame? Maybe a diet of snails, horsemeat and frogs'
legs leads to more frequent methane emissions.

It's certainly a distinctive smell! When I lived there, back in the
1970s, the central car on each train was first-class - I'm not sure when
that was abolished, but it was quite a shock to the system to find it
had been when we returned in the 1990s! Anyway, our joke always was
that you got a better class of garlic-breath in first class.....
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004