Old July 25th 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CharlesPottins CharlesPottins is offline

Default ASLEF General Secretary deposed!

I like the remark about someone going to heaven for thumping Bon Crowe. Always
good to see our moderates in fine fettle on the topic of "violence". Rare bit
of honesty.
On being in jobs to serve the public, maybe the transport services, hospitals,
schools etc should all be staffed by volunteers rather than nasty people
expecting to be paid living wages. But the staff should also realise that when
services are cut or the government decides some staff or shifts are not needed,
this is entirely for the public good and ought to be applauded. So long as we
use the magic words like "reform" and "modernising" (and what about that golden
oldie "rationalising"?)
If money is to be paid, I'm sure senior management, suppliers and contractors
will set the lead in taking the minimum that is forced on them, and asking how
they can pay more tax. Only the other day, I was talking about the health
service, to a gentleman from Glaxo-Smith-Kline-Beecham or whatever, and he told
me it was breaking his heart that he had been forced to accept a huge payout,
which he intended donating back forthwith. I happened to mention this
to.friends from Bechtel, and they assured me that as soon as the money comes in
from their contracts in Iraq, they will plough it into improvements on the
London tube.