Old July 25th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Robin May Robin May is offline

Default Extending the congestion charge zone

"Dave Arquati" wrote the following in:

Ken wanted to extend it into Kensington & Chelsea and Tower
Hamlets - I'm not sure exactly how far into either. The limited
map on the BBC News site showed just the Kensington & Chelsea
extension since 52% of residents were in favour. It didn't seem to
extend as far as the logical boundary (the West Cross Route) but
instead seemed to run up Gloucester Road or some parallel route in
the south (Queens Gate, or maybe Exhibition Road/Sydney St etc?).

Only 33% of residents in Tower Hamlets were in favour of the
extension so the map didn't show the eastwards extension.

I think it's ridiculous to extend it into Tower Hamlets, the poorest
borough in London. There would be bound to be people who were outside
the congestion charging zone but whose local supermarket or school or
similar important service was inside it, and who'd be left with no
adequate substitute method of transport. And for people who really
don't have a lot of money, that would be very unfair.

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.