Old July 15th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Platform Tickets

Stuart Johnson typed

Not sure what LUs thinking is on this one, perhaps they prefer to
'vet' prospective Platform Ticket purchasers like me!

Why? Are you likely to sit in the waiting room injecting all day and
vandalise the toilets? Do you look like you will :-) ?
I can see why the sale of platform tickets might be vetted.

The ticket office was open in this case anyway.
Surely the Multifare should offer the same tickets whether the ticket
office is open or closed???

It does, except the Platform option is missing if any of the TOMs are
on shift.

Oh, I see, thanks. You learn something new every day...

If the ticket office had been closed, the gateline would have been open
and I might have chance going without a platform ticket...

No, the gateline would only be open if there were no staff on the
gateline, irrespective of the status of the ticket office.

I witnessed exactly this situation recently at Canary Wharf, ticket
office closed, machines on, gateline closed.

This might be the case at Canary Wharf, to which I've seldom been.

The stations I use most are Burnt Oak and Preston Road.
At Burnt Oak, the gateline is seldom closed, even if the ticket office
is open (which is infrequent after the morning rush.) It seems the
gateline here is closed *only* when they are blitzing fare-dodgers.
At Preston Road, the ticket office abuts the gateline. It seems closed
when there's a man in the office and open when there isn't, like in the
late evening.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.