Old July 15th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default LU Stock Transfer Routes

"Jonn Elledge" wrote in message ...
"Boltar" wrote in message
m...
"Piccadilly Pilot" wrote in message

So by your last comment should all stock be tube stock and of a length

that
will fit in the shortest platform on the network?

Well obviously not given the huge size difference. But here we're merely
talking about the odd half inch here or there than would make NO

difference to
the carrying capacity of the fleet but would have made it far more

flexible
operationally. After all , Upminster is just as far out as Amersham from
central london so who's to say the A stock might never have been used on

that
route?

Upminster's a lot closer in than Amersham - Upminster's about 17 miles from
Trafalger Square, Amersham's more like 24 miles. Plus Upminster's in zone 6,
Amersham's in zone D.

I can hear the sounds of hairs being split. The Met also terminates at
Uxbridge which is a lot closer in than Amersham. Whats the reason for using
A stock on that branch then? And what about the East london line. That must
go all of 3 miles south of the river. The point is that A stock is just another
train and if the designers had had a bit of forsight it could have been used
over the whole sub surface system if needs be. They didn't so it can't. Maybe
thats not an issue now but on the other hand it may have come in very useful in
times past, who knows?

B2003